Anytime someone asks me for a dog-friendly, Colorado cabin vacation, I always suggest YMCA of the Rockies. Sure, we have several favorite places we love to visit, but we can’t always bring the dogs. If you’re looking for the quintessential Colorado cabin and pet-friendly, this is the place to go! There was so much for the family to do, plus we had our favorite pal along. Check out our review and read below for all this summer’s adventures.
Two favorite Colorado mountain vacation resorts today announced family-friendly activities and events for the 2021 summer season. YMCA of the Rockies – Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch, both located at the gateway of the treasured Rocky Mountain National Park, offer visitors access to wide open spaces, beautiful mountain scenery, comfortable lodging, and unique on-site activities for all ages without leaving the properties.
This summer, guests will enjoy archery lessons, horseback riding, creating keepsake projects in the craft centers, playing miniature golf or tennis, roller skating, swimming, rock climbing with skilled instructors, and the Snow Mountain Ranch summer tubing hill. For the adventurous, there are also fly-fishing lessons, mountain biking trails, whitewater rafting, guided hikes through Rocky Mountain National Park, and expansive on-site dog parks.
Accommodations range from affordable hotel-style lodge rooms with common areas to pet-friendly multi-bedroom private cabins. Snow Mountain Ranch also features yurts and campsites in the summer months. Many guests host reunions or group retreats during the summer, with several larger reunion cabins that sleep up to 88 guests in as many as 17 bedrooms. Most lodge rooms and cabins do not have televisions, providing a truly unplugged experience for everyone involved.
“Each summer, families visit Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch for the unique camp-like experience we offer, where they are able to celebrate one another in a beautiful mountain setting with gorgeous views, wildlife all around, and staff and self-led activities for toddlers, school-aged children, teens, adults, and grandparents alike,” said Lisa Eccles, Director of Marketing, YMCA of the Rockies. “This summer, family vacation time and creating memories together is especially important, and we are happy to provide a Colorado summer experience like no other.”
Both properties offer convenient on-site summer day camps for children ages 3 -17. The day camps run Monday – Friday from early June through mid-August starting at $40/day at Estes Park Center and $140/week at Snow Mountain Ranch. Register for one day, a few days or several weeks at a time.
YMCA of the Rockies has incorporated new activities and safe operational procedures throughout the last year, based on local and state health agency orders and guidelines. Summer 2021 program highlights include:
YMCA of the Rockies (Estes Park, CO)
- 101 Years of Guided Hiking at YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, celebrating a 100-year-old unique “hikemasters” program, with several celebrations and presentations taking place throughout the summer.
- Teen summer camps at YMCA of the Rockies for ages 13-17 offered Tuesday-Friday from June 1– August 13, featuring outdoor wilderness training, overnight excursions, backpacking and camping skills, climbing, and more.
Snow Mountain Ranch (Granby, CO)
- Forest Zip Lining – Soar through the sky on one of our zip lines. Climb up a 35-foot ladder to ride a 600-foot-long zip line.
- Pickleball, hopscotch and basketball on the brand-new hardwood floors in the Kiva Center.
- Electric Bike Rentals from the onsite bike shop.
Camp Chief Ouray (located at Snow Mountain Ranch)
- New Expedition Leadership Camp for teens to experience an adventurous 9-day expedition that will teach backpacking skills, backcountry etiquette, and Leave No Trace education.
- Family Adventure Trips guided overnight backpacking trips in multiple scenic locations offering families a personalized adventure, custom-tailored to ability levels.
- Active Older Adult Camp, August 22-26, 2021 – Why should the kids have all the fun? Enjoy time in the mountains with campers who are 50 years young and above.
- Women’s Adventure Camp August 27-29, 2021 – Women will spend the weekend learning how to navigate the great outdoors, while gaining access to a wide range of activities, including archery, fly fishing, mountain biking, yoga, zip line and outdoor survival skills.