Until recently, every time I thought of Jello Shots I thought of my younger years. I enjoy them, but never thought about making them for any of our parties now, afraid our guests would get the wrong idea about just what kind of house party we were hosting. At one such event however, the subject came up and interest sparked so I started playing around with fun flavors. Cherry limeade Jello shots were a favorite and were a perfect fresh and fruity addition to our summer get-togethers. Served in the lime rinds, they are a fun treat, even without the alcohol.
You will need:
1 cup of your favorite vodka
1 package Cherry gelatin
1 cup water minus 1 tablespoon or 15 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- This step is the most time consuming, but the presentation makes it all worth while. The cherry limeade jello shots aren’t only cute, but are also easy to enjoy. Cut all of the limes in half and scoop out the inside leaving the rind in tact. Save 1 tablespoon of the fresh lime juice. Pat the rinds dry with a paper towel.
- Boil the water, remove from heat and stir in the Cherry gelatin.
- Once the cherry gelatin is completely dissolved, stir in the vodka and fresh lime juice.
- Pour the mixture into the lime halves and refrigerate.
- Once set, (usually 4 hours) cut the limes in half again (to make wedges) with a warm knife and serve.
If you want to omit the vodka feel free to use all water, juice, or even lemon-lime soda. These Jello shots look adorable and taste even sweeter. They were a huge hit for the adults at family barbecues last summer. I hope you love them as much as we did. As with any tasty treat, moderation is key. Enjoy!